Industry: High street and community public houses
Following the successful implementation of novalign’s selection interview and interview scoring system in 2008 to allow, GKs BDMs (area managers) to substantially improve their selection decisions; Greene King were looking to maximise their pubs performances by correctly identifying what sort of managers would perform best in what sort of pubs.
This needed to be in line with their market segmentation strategy to improve their internal recruitment process to free up time for BDMs.
- To clearly understand and define which behaviours are best suited to the offerings of GK’s different pub segmentations
- Prove that the segmentations are right
- Create buy-in from the BDMs to the value of the segmentation scheme
- Build confidence in the BDMs to use the behavioural language to develop their RMs (Pub Landlords)
- Give the BDMs a tool to justify moving RMs into different pubs to maximise their potential
As a result of the pre-screening system we produced for Greene King’s recruitment team and the confirmation of what Greene Kings core values are the BDMs now have saved a substantial amount of time in their working day. This time is spent maximising the performance of their managers. The segmentation is already yielding great results. The BDM and Operational Directors have considerably more confidence in their decisions to move staff. The BDMs now have a unified language in which they can identify behaviours and coach their people to higher performance.
- Alignment consultation with the senior HR team and operational Directors
- Development of a specific interview pack that would allow for the correct segmentation behaviours to be identified in one simple interview
- Development of an interview scoring tool that weights and correctly identifies the behavioural alignment for each segmentation - also produced a overlapping tool that rejects candidates that don’t meet Greene Kings core behavioural requirements
- Stress prove the system by benchmarking the tools against current performers and none performers in different GK segmentation's
- Pre-screening recruitment selection and vetting tool
- Created and rolled out a bespoke interview training programme for the BDMs and Operational Directors
- Provide candidate behavioural and technical referencing templates